This is Why I Moderate "Comments" on My Web Sites
Spam doesn't just come by e-mail: a favorite spammer trick is to put a comment on a web site that "just happens" to have a URL in it, with hopes of getting traffic from popular sites.
Just posting a naked link is pretty easy to catch, so they bury the URLs in "comments". These are actual "comments" entered by spammers on my sites -- with the links, of course, removed, but with the actual commenter "name" as entered. (The strategy behind that: often blog comments link the commenter's "site URL" as a click from their "name" -- which gives an indication of what they're trying to sell.)
Needless to say, the "comment" never has anything to do with the actual content on the page, so the results can be pretty hilarious:
- Some really interesting information, well written and loosely user genial . Commenter name: HDTV
- Hi there, I uncovered your internet site via Google, your article looks totally interesting for me. Commenter name: love tarot card readings
- I would like to convey my passion for your generosity for folks who have the need for assistance with this concept. Your special commitment to passing the solution along came to be really useful and has in most cases encouraged associates like me to attain their targets. Your entire helpful recommendations signifies so much to me and even more to my peers. With thanks; from all of us. Commenter name: Garmin GPS
- I precisely needed to say thanks once more. I am not sure the things I might have carried out without the entire advice discussed by you on my industry. Previously it was a very frustrating setting for me, however , viewing a expert avenue you processed that took me to leap for happiness. I will be happier for the help and pray you find out what a great job you have been carrying out training the mediocre ones with the aid of your web blog. I am certain you have never encountered all of us. Commenter name: Garmin Nuvi
- I enjoy being bored stiff. It is exactly what produced everyone to the article. Basically details it is certainly fairly intriguing. Often I'm wondering the place each one of these good internet sites usually are will certainly of times your information I just read really is not really helpful nonetheless additional unexciting. Commenter name: stop dog from barking
- No matter the ending is perfect or not, you cannot disappear from my world. Commenter name: supra shoes prix
- Just wanna comment about this article, after reading whole of this it make me to have new thinking about one big event, hope I can read more good news again from you so I bookmark your website. Commenter name: use windows live messenger online
- Many thanks for the effort invested in the post. It really is very much appreciated. I'll be back to check again on what you has to say regarding it. I reckon I will simply have to wait and see if there are any new posts that originate from the comments left on here. Commenter name: real money craps
- Hello Guru, what entice you to post an article. This article was extremely interesting, especially since I was searching for thoughts on this subject last Thursday. Commenter name: Chaussure Nike Air Max
- Just to follow up on the update of this subject on your web-site and want to let you know how much I appreciated the time you took to put together this valuable post. Inside the post, you really spoke of how to truly handle this thing with all convenience. It would be my own pleasure to get together some more tips from your blog and come as much as offer other folks what I have benefited from you. Thanks for your usual excellent effort. Commenter name: abortion clinic gainesville florida
- Thank you for your article,It's well written, in depth posts like these that have aided me in becoming a good forex trader. Commenter name: COH Influence
Don't you wish all site owners actually put in the work to ensure comments on their site were actually worth your time to read?!
Note: for serious anti-spam information, read my Spam Primer. But no, it doesn't accept comments....
Posted February 17, 2012
Category: Idiot -- Prev: Just How Stupid ARE People? | Next: A Letter from the Teacher
Category: Online life -- Prev: Inkstained Wretches II | Next: If the TV Dinner Wasn't Invented Until the Computer Age