The Brick Theory of Management
How to place new employees in the right jobs for them:
- Put 400 bricks in a closed room.
- Put your new hires in the room and close the door.
- Leave them alone and come back after 6 hours.
- Then analyze the situation:
- If they are counting the bricks, put them in the Accounting Department.
- If they are recounting them, put them in Auditing.
- If they have messed up the whole place with the bricks, put them in Engineering.
- If they are arranging the bricks in some strange order, put them in Planning.
- If they are throwing the bricks at each other, put them in Operations.
- If they are sleeping, put them in Security.
- If they have broken the bricks into pieces, put them in Information Technology.
- If they are sitting idle, put them in Human Resources.
- If they say they have tried different combinations, they are looking for more, yet not a brick has been moved, put them in Sales.
- If they have already left for the day, put them in Marketing.
- If they are staring out of the window, put them in Strategic Planning.
- If they are talking to each other, and not a single brick has been moved, congratulate them and put them in Top Management.
- If they have surrounded themselves with bricks in such a way that they can neither be seen nor heard from, put them in Congress.
Posted April 27, 2007