Men will Date Anyone
Another one from Tom Geller (see info at the end). He was IMing with a female friend about how many men will answer any "woman seeking man" (w4m) ad in the "Casual Encounters" section of Craig's List. As an experiment, Tom placed the following ad:
I'm a cow, and I need you NOW - w4m - 23 (castro / upper market)
Reply to: anon-[deleted]@craigslist.org
Date: 2005-04-17, 12:18AM PDT
I'm a hot, wet, horny cow... I mean a real cow, with hooves and two stomachs those cute glassy eyes. But I want steaming action tonight from a guy who can give it to me the way I need it. Plus I'm placing this to see how many men will answer ANY w4m ad.
Are you up to the challenge?
Here are the results:
- 13 responses in the first 10 minutes. About 35 responses total.
- Maybe 20 of them were men who clearly didn't read the ad.
- 10 or so were men who read the ad, made a cow reference, but went for it anyway because they figured there's a Real Live Girl (TM) on the other end.
- 5 or so were genuinely funny or interesting. Including the sole female respondent.
Just a few of the best responses (see Tom's blog for more -- including (yes!) some photos and comments from readers):
- An AOL member wrote: "hehe. I'm not a man but I'm interested to know how many men respond. -moo". We started an interesting correspondence. It turns out that she, too, places "fake" ads along with real ones... if she gets the same message to both, that person gets shitcanned. With this posting, maybe I can save her (and others like her) some work. :) In a nod to me, her fake one that night said, "I'm no cow, but I'm no prize either.". She wouldn't tell me which was her real one though. Rotter.
- "hmm, aren't there ordinances in this city against keeping cows? i must say, you're a damn literate cow as well. must be hard to type with those hooves? How can you do that at this moment? If you're a cow of color, I'd be tempted to ask, "How now, brown cow." Cow of color! Love it.
- "Are u really a cow...???"
(Reprinted with permission from Tom Geller.)
Posted April 30, 2005
Category: Men/Women -- Prev: The Cowboy | Next: Midlife Crisis
Category: Online life -- Prev: The Unsubscribe Fee | Next: New Programming Language: C+-
Category: True Story -- Prev: USPS: "We Deliver For You!" | Next: The Writer's Life